www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Brian Powell <br...@natinst.com>
Subject general/587: compatibility with NCSA HTTPd with symbolic links
Date Thu, 15 May 1997 22:40:02 GMT

>Number:         587
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       compatibility with NCSA HTTPd with symbolic links
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I have a single server running NCSA HTTPd, and I'm trying to move it
over to Apache.  I've been testing a variety of links, and found behavior
that's incompatible between the two servers.  My apologies if this is a
known problem--I did try to find it in the FAQ and bug database first.

We have a user who has made a symbolic link "foo.cgi" to a real file
named "foo.pl".  We have not done anything special to recognize ".pl" files
as special.  The Perl file is using CGI utilities to generate real CGI.  (I.e.,
it's not a poorly written script that knows nothing of CGI/HTML.)  The .pl
file is executable in the filesystem.

With the NCSA server, going to the "foo.cgi" URL runs the perl script and
brings up the resulting form.  This is the desired behavior.

With the Apache server, it brings up the Perl source code.  This is not
the desired behavior.
>How-To-Repeat:
See above.
>Fix:
First of all, does the HTTP standard define what's supposed to happen?
Perhaps the Apache behavior is more correct than the NCSA behavior.

If no contradictory standard exists, I prefer the NCSA behavior.

I glanced at the source code, but I couldn't figure out where the
decision is made