www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jack Holt <h...@smarthealth.com>
Subject mod_dir/576: Port 0 being added in directory redirects
Date Tue, 13 May 1997 18:40:02 GMT

>Number:         576
>Category:       mod_dir
>Synopsis:       Port 0 being added in directory redirects
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When the server does a redirect from a directory without a trailing slash,
to the same URL with the trailing slash appended, it adds ":0" after the
hostname.  This happens even if I have specified port 80 in the URL.

This may be specific to configurations like ours, since it hasn't been
reported before so far as I could see.  Our configuration is basically
like this:

Listen 1.2.3.4:8080
Listen 80
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:8080>
  ProxyRequests on
  # other directives here, too
  # Serve no local docs on this port
  <Directory />
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost _default_:80>
   # This vhost serves all local docs
   DocumentRoot /yada/yada/yada
   # lots of other directives
</VirtualHost>

Here's a sample telnet session:
GET /SP HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 18:34:04 GMT
Server: Apache/1.2b10
Location: http://smarthealth.com:0/SP/
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>301 Moved Permanently</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Permanently</H1>
The document has moved <A HREF="http://smarthealth.com:0/SP/">here</A>.<P>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.

The ":0" makes Netscape (3.01/NT) unhappym since it tried to actually connect
to port 0, I guess, but MSIE3.02 seems to ignore it and follows the redirect
on port 80 instead,
Try <http://smarthealth.com/SP>