www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Tom Rathborne <t...@convoke.com>
Subject os-linux/571: CGIs fail with "Can't spawn child process" with more than 63 virtual hosts
Date Sun, 11 May 1997 20:20:01 GMT

>Number:         571
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       CGIs fail with "Can't spawn child process" with more than 63 virtual hosts
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
The machine has almost a whole class C worth of IP aliases, and the
httpd is configured to listen to around 128 of them. The _default_
virtual server works fine on all unassigned addresses, and all
virtual hosts work fine as long as there are less than 63 of them.
When we configure more than 63 virtual hosts (i.e. 65 = 1 _default_ +
64 distinct VirtualHost directives), CGI programs on *all* virtual
hosts fail with reason: couldn't spwan child process. Otherwise, the
virtual hosts work just fine.
>How-To-Repeat:
I had to turn off some dormant virtual hosts so that customers'
CGI programs would run, but I would be glad to demonstrate it on
a new server if you really need me to.
>Fix:
It may be a limitation of Linux, and, if so, it should be documented.
Otherwise, I have no idea how to fix it%2