www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject general/561
Date Sun, 11 May 1997 17:00:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/561; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: alec <marinet@hol.gr>
Subject: general/561
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 10:56:55 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, alec wrote:

 > (sorry I forgot to write the message on my previous mail)
 >
 > Thank you for your answer.
 >
 > Here is some additional information incase you can figure out what's
 > happening.
 > Using my dial-up from home I can NOT ping, finger, telnet (not to port
 > 80 nor port 23), ftp, or use the web on my site.
 > At the same time the server is accessible by the provider (they were
 > calling it while I could not access it).

 If you can't access it at all, then it has nothing to do with Apache.  If
 your provider can access it then the problem is most likely a network
 problem between you and your provider.

 > The exact message reads:
 >
 > - socket error: accept failed
 > accept: Connection reset by peer
 >
 > This message appearrs only while I can not access the server.

 This is a possible problem, but given the other information there is
 something more going on that isn't related to Apache.  Upgrading your
 system to use the latest 2.0.x kernel would be a good start.

 > Another strange thing that I have noticed is that when I was not able to
 > access the server, I called my provider and told them to check oin my
 > machine. The pinged the machine and got the message "alive" meaning that
 > the server was o.k. After that moment I was aslo able to access it.
 > Could it be that the server is "asleep" is some way and that their call
 > woke him up ? Is there such a capability for linux machines ??

 Unlikely.  It would be more likely that your provider would be lying to
 you, and they would find and fix the problem when you called.

 There isn't really much we can do, since this is almost certainly not an
 Apache problem.