www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/553: access to a dir which is not r-x by all (only user/group) is not permited
Date Sun, 11 May 1997 16:50:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/553; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Hannes Boehm <hannes@boehm.org>
Subject: Re: general/553: access to a dir which is not r-x by all (only user/group) is not
permited
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 10:49:30 -0600 (MDT)

 On Tue, 6 May 1997, Hannes Boehm wrote:

 [...]
 > I have a directory with the following permissions set:
 >
 > drwxr-x---   4 wwwadm   www          1024 May  6 22:59 mirror/
 >
 > The server runs as
 >
 > User nobody
 > Group www

 This really should work fine.

 What are the permissions of the files in the directory?  ie. if the
 directory is world readable by the files are not, does it work?

 Are you sure there are not two group www's in the /etc/group file?

 Double check what group it is running as.  Do something like:

 root@alive:~/archive/apache/apache/src# ps ax | grep httpd
  4007  ??  Ss     0:25.11 ./httpd
  7223  ??  I      0:00.01 ./httpd
  7228  p2  R+     0:00.04 grep httpd
 root@alive:~/archive/apache/apache/src# gdb httpd 4007
 GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
 There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
 GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
 Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...

 /usr/home/marcs/archive/apache/apache/src/4007: No such file or directory.
 Attaching to program `/usr/home/marcs/archive/apache/apache/src/httpd',
 process 4007
 Reading symbols from /usr/libexec/ld.so...done.
 Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2.0...done.
 Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.2.2...done.
 0x80a1636 in sigsuspend ()
 (gdb) call getgid()
 $1 = 65533
 (gdb) quit
 The program is running.  Quit anyway (and detach it)? (y or n) y
 Detaching from program: /usr/home/marcs/archive/apache/apache/src/httpd
 process 4007
 root@alive:~/archive/apache/apache/src#

 Where 4007 is the pid of the _parent_ httpd process.  Be sure the gid
 returned (65533, in this case) is the gid of www.

 Are any of these directories NFS mounted?