www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Allan Lyons <ad...@cbccts.sk.ca>
Subject mod_alias/521: Alias does not work exactly as expected
Date Thu, 01 May 1997 21:50:01 GMT

>Number:         521
>Category:       mod_alias
>Synopsis:       Alias does not work exactly as expected
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am using Alias to give http: access to our locally available ftp
archive with the command:
     Alias /pub/ /home/ftp/pub/
Unfortunately, this will not work if the URL does not have a trailing '/'
http://host/pub   returns File Not Found
http://host/pub/  works as expected.
I feel that this is a bug because many users regard the trailing '/' as
optional.
>How-To-Repeat:
Set up Alias command
http://host/pub will not work
http://host/pub/  does work
(remember to clear local cache between tries if using Netscape, etc.)
>Fix:
Before returning File Not Found, check to see if the addition of
a trailing '/' will make it a valid request.
%0