www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: general/465: An html page will not fully load and will hang after 1K or so of download
Date Thu, 24 Apr 1997 00:50:02 GMT
The following reply was made to PR general/465; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Barry L James <bjames@terraware.net>
Subject: Re: general/465: An html page will not fully load and will hang after 1K or so of
download
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:44:17 -0600 (MDT)

 On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Barry L James wrote:

 > When opening a web page on the local network here, the web page comes up with no problem
 > However, when going outside our network, the same page will only load to about
 > 1074 bytes and then not load any further.  At first I thought it might be a routing
 > anomoly, but after viewing the source for the HTML page determined it was not.
 >    The page was created in MS Publisher and had lines starting with spaces and tabs.
 > When this page was viewed across several links (even inside our network, but maybe
 > 5 hops down to a downstream ISP) it wouldn't load properly. (ie either it would hang
 > at a certain byte level OR it would say (one lynx) HTTP/1.1 200 OK and nothing else)

 [...]

 This is almost certainly not an Apache problem.  There are various network
 related issues that can cause it.  You may want to upgrade your kernel
 (don't track Linux kerenel versions, don't know if the one you have is
 buggy or not; all too many are).

 Please do something like a:

 	tcpdump host virtweb4.mis.net and host remote.site and port 80

 while trying to access the page from remote.site (change the name
 obviously) and mail me the output. This will give a dump of what the
 server is trying to send.  It is probably something like some router not
 liking packets over a certain size or formed in a certain way.  I think
 the data you are seeing it with is just a coincidence.  Try a different
 page with the same formatting but completely different text; can you
 reproduce it there?