www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Barry L James <bja...@terraware.net>
Subject general/465: An html page will not fully load and will hang after 1K or so of download
Date Wed, 23 Apr 1997 22:30:01 GMT

>Number:         465
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       An html page will not fully load and will hang after 1K or so of download
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When opening a web page on the local network here, the web page comes up with no problem
However, when going outside our network, the same page will only load to about
1074 bytes and then not load any further.  At first I thought it might be a routing
anomoly, but after viewing the source for the HTML page determined it was not.
   The page was created in MS Publisher and had lines starting with spaces and tabs.
When this page was viewed across several links (even inside our network, but maybe
5 hops down to a downstream ISP) it wouldn't load properly. (ie either it would hang
at a certain byte level OR it would say (one lynx) HTTP/1.1 200 OK and nothing else)
  After hand-editing the page
and taking out the lines that started with tabs and spaces the page loaded properly.
    The client was advised to try a differnet html editor and changed to front page.
Front Page does the same thing, in that some lines start with spaces and tabs and the same
symptoms occur anywhere when trying to load this page.  Once again, after hand-editing the
page
to take out the tabs/spaces the pages loaded fine.
    Also, when transfering the web pages to a different server, namely an NT box
running O'Reillys WebSite or another unix box running Apache 1.0.1 the page serves correctly.

>How-To-Repeat:
I have since moved the client's web pages to another server, but I have the old pages
for testing.  Try URL:
http://virtweb4.mis.net/dennery/page7.html
>Fix:
No idea.  Hand editing is too time consuming, and we cannot proscribe the
HTML editors that our clients can use.  It does work on Apache 1.0.1 and
other web servers.