www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Brent Phillips <br...@jamisongold.com>
Subject os-linux/457: apache root server process goes crazy and sucks down all available cycles
Date Tue, 22 Apr 1997 23:40:03 GMT

>Number:         457
>Category:       os-linux
>Synopsis:       apache root server process goes crazy and sucks down all available cycles
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
We're running about 10 different virtual servers on an Intel Linux 2.0.30
machine. Occassionally, one of the root apache processes goes crazy and
sucks down all available processor cycles; it has to be killed for the system
to continue normal operation. We haven't seen this happen with the child
processes - it always seem to be the root process.

This problem started occuring when we added a virtual server with a moderate
to heavy load, so it may be related to using up some limited system resource.
>How-To-Repeat:
Run several web servers on an Intel Linux 2.0.30 and have robots hit them
mercilessly; wait until the system gets unresponsive and check on the web
server processes' CPU usage.
>Fix:
I would guess that some resouce is running out