www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy/429: Logrotate utility causing possible SIGSEGVs when using mod_proxy & caching
Date Sun, 20 Apr 1997 16:50:00 GMT
The following reply was made to PR mod_proxy/429; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Manoj Kasichainula <manojk@io.com>
Subject: Re: mod_proxy/429: Logrotate utility causing possible SIGSEGVs when using mod_proxy
& caching
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 10:45:51 -0600 (MDT)

 On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

 [...]
 > /var/log/httpd/referer_log {
 >     postrotate
 >         /usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd
 >     endscript
 > }
 >
 > >Fix:
 > My guess is that the repeated SIGHUPs in rapid succession are causing hangups
 > to be received in the code when they aren't handled yet. This code is probably
 > cache initialization code, and it may be in the middle of an operation on the
 > cache when it crashes, so the cache is corrupt and Apache gets very confused

 Is there any reason why you are doing a killall?  Try changing that to
 something like:

 	kill -HUP `cat /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/httpd.pid`

 (change to match the path to your pid file).  There could be some odd
 interaction with killing all the children.

 Does it work properly all the time when the proxy is disabled?  How about
 when the proxy is enabled but cache disabled?

 Also note that you would _really_ be better off setting up something to
 only HUP it once.  There is a small race condition where a second HUP will
 kill the process but, more importantly, it is possible for a second one to
 get "lost" if it is generated too quickly.