www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Mark Bullen <Mark.Bul...@src.bae.co.uk>
Subject mod_proxy/415: Proxy attempts DNS for named hosts in ProxyRemote config directives
Date Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:20:02 GMT

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Fri Apr 18 11:00:01 PDT 1997

>Number:         415
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Proxy attempts DNS for named hosts in ProxyRemote config directives
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Apache_1.2b8 appears to attempt a DNS lookup on any hostnames specified on
LHS of the ProxyRemote Directive, and fails to forward proxy requests if it
cannot resolve the name of the host.

e.g. ProxyRemote http://some.host.com/ http://123.456.789.012:8888/

Apache_1.2b7 and previous does not have this behaviour.

Background; I run a proxy server behind a firewall and do not have access to a
DNS to resolve the names of hosts on the other side of the firewall. However I
can (could) map the names of hosts to IP addresses using the ProxyRemote
directive.
>How-To-Repeat:
Reconfigure a machine without DNS and try using a ProxyRemote directive to
map its name to an IP address.
>Fix:
Don't attempt DNS on the hostnames on the LHS of a ProxyRemote Directive%3