www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From John Matheson <jo...@abctec.com>
Subject mod_cgi/342: cgi processes need to be niced.
Date Thu, 10 Apr 1997 01:20:04 GMT

>Number:         342
>Category:       mod_cgi
>Synopsis:       cgi processes need to be niced.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Some of the other Apache users suggested I leave this note.
I dont use perl scripts, just compiled C. It is my hope my users can get in
and out as quickly as possible. Sometimes, when my CGI is waiting
for another resource from another server (geocities for example), the
processes persist for a long time and hit the wall. The drive starts spinning
around, and it can take 10 or 20 minutes for linux to return a prompt for me
to run my httpd process kill routine and restart nice -19 /usr/sbin/httpd.
In worse
cases I have to do a /sbin/shutdown -r now, which causes me great displeasure.
It isnt really a bug report but more of a suggestion, is there a way that you
could make it so that all cgi programs are also niced as well? For now it seems
that there is no way of doing this. I cant seem to just kludge my cgi to a
shell script which nice-19s my program, as it seems to lose all the stdin data
from the CGI and dump core on me or cause a server error to occur.

by the way, put WRAP="VIRTUAL" in your TEXTAREA tags to eliminate the scroll
bar at the bottom....

>How-To-Repeat:
well, I don;t really want you trying to crash my guestbook server,
but it is at www.abctec.com
>Fix:
is there a way that you
could make it so that all cgi programs are also niced as well%3