www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-linux/303: apache server will not die when 'kill'ed
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 07:20:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/303; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen@network1.net>
Subject: Re: os-linux/303: apache server will not die when 'kill'ed
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 00:10:55 -0700 (MST)

 On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Randy Carpenter wrote:

 > On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
 >
 > > Are you sure it is an actual process?  Can you see it in a ps?  Is it the
 > > parent or a child process?
 >
 > Yes it is a real process.
 >
 > > How are you killing the server?
 >
 > well, at first by using the rc. script that starts and stops, but it
 > leaves the one process.  It cannot even be 'kill -9'ed  I have heard that
 > a newer kernel with some patches helps this problem...

 I would suggest you try that; it looks like it may be a Linux kernel issue
 since I have heard no other reports of Apache doing this and the behavior
 you are reporting sounds like kernel trouble.  Let us know if you find
 that a kernel change works when you get time for it.

 [...]
 > > Does it cause problems when you send a HUP to it?  (I assume stopping and
 > > restarting referrs to actually shutting it down completely)
 >
 > Havent tried HUPing the actual server... we need to be abel to shut it
 > down, and bring it back up automatically for the purpose of safely
 > calculating webstats, and rotating logs

 You can do log rotations by HUPing the parent; move the log file to
 another file on the same partition, HUP the server, wait a little, then it
 will start writing to the new file.  However, HUPing it may result in the
 same problem.