www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-linux/303: apache server will not die when 'kill'ed (fwd)
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 06:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/303; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: apbugs@apache.org
Subject: Re: os-linux/303: apache server will not die when 'kill'ed (fwd)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:30:22 -0700 (MST)

 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 01:28:53 -0500 (EST)
 From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen@network1.net>
 To: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
 Subject: Re: os-linux/303: apache server will not die when 'kill'ed

 On Sat, 5 Apr 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

 > Are you sure it is an actual process?  Can you see it in a ps?  Is it the
 > parent or a child process?

 Yes it is a real process.

 > How are you killing the server?

 well, at first by using the rc. script that starts and stops, but it
 leaves the one process.  It cannot even be 'kill -9'ed  I have heard that
 a newer kernel with some patches helps this problem...

 > Does this happen all the time or only sometimes?

 All the time.

 > When it does happen, can you show me the output from a netstat (netstat -a
 > would be good if Linux's netstat supports the standard BSD options...)?

 Dont have access to the box right now, and dont really want to mess with
 shuttign down the server, since I have to reboot it to resolve the
 problems it causes.

 > Does it cause problems when you send a HUP to it?  (I assume stopping and
 > restarting referrs to actually shutting it down completely)

 Havent tried HUPing the actual server... we need to be abel to shut it
 down, and bring it back up automatically for the purpose of safely
 calculating webstats, and rotating logs

 > Does this problem go away by itself?  If so, how long does it take?

 Not that we have seen.. the server must be rebooted