www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Valtteri Vuorikoski <vu...@sci.fi>
Subject general/294: htaccess searched for in weird places
Date Tue, 01 Apr 1997 14:10:01 GMT

>Number:         294
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       htaccess searched for in weird places
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
If a directory has a Location directive for it in access conf (perhaps
even without it), .htaccess will be searched starting from the root directory
upward toward apache's directory. With a Directory directive, the correct thing
happens. Using truss, I could see that the httpd was looking for .htaccess
as follows: /.htaccess, /opt/.htaccess, /opt/local/.htaccess and
/opt/local/apache/.htaccess
While I might've been doing the Wrong Thing with Location, I still don't think
the server should attempt to poke at files in /.
>How-To-Repeat:
Create a directory under htdocs, put in a Location directive for it,
attempt to use .htaccess in at directory, truss the server, see it dtwt.