www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: os-linux/255: Problems viewing images with proxied service providers.
Date Wed, 26 Mar 1997 01:40:01 GMT
The following reply was made to PR os-linux/255; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To: Tim Stives <stives@netsos.com>
Subject: Re: os-linux/255: Problems viewing images with proxied service providers.
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:35:16 -0700 (MST)

 > Several of my clients are having trouble viewing our pages from a variety
 > of sources including buffnet.com and AOL.  The text will load but the
 > images will not.  We were having the same problem before, so we upgraded
 > to 1.2b7.  This did not fix the problem.

 This is not a problem with Apache, but rather one with either your kernel
 or a router upstream of you.  Any host sending a packet larger than a
 certain size can have this problem; it appears like either your kernel is
 broken or a router near you is eating large packets without sending back
 the appropriate ICMP message.

 Many old systems are limited to MTUs (the maximum packet length that can
 be sent to a remote system) of 256 or 512 for historical reasons.  More
 modern systems have higher MTUs and try to automatically discover the
 proper one on the fly.  Try an older and newer version of your Linux
 kernel and see if any of them fix the problem.  If not, it is likely one
 of the routers upstream of you that is causing the problem; since you get
 your connection through uunet, they may be able to help if you can find
 the right person.

 As I said this is not an Apache problem, so we can't really help much
 more.