www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Erik Knutson <erik.knut...@spanlink.com>
Subject os-unixware/222: Error on call to "accept" causes infinite loop.
Date Thu, 06 Mar 1997 15:00:02 GMT

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Thu Mar 06 11:00:01 PST 1997

>Number:         222
>Category:       os-unixware
>Synopsis:       Error on call to "accept" causes infinite loop.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
When the child process calls the "accept" function, passing the "sd" socket
descriptor obtained from the parent process, the function sometimes returns
error number 131 which supposedly means "connection reset by peer".  The
child process logic immediately loops back to call the "accept" function
again and the same error result occurs perpetually (the error log file will
fill up as a result).  Error number 131 is not listed in the man page for the
"accept" function among the other possible error codes that might be returned.
The web connection is completely broken at this point.  Having the child exit
does not solve the problem.
>How-To-Repeat:
This problem is difficult to reproduce.  It happens on the test systems we
are using for Spanlink WebCall development after some amount of time, and the
cause is unclear.
>Fix:
I did not attempt to fix the logic because of the process juggling and
socket descriptor complexity involved.  I worked around the problem by having
the child process invoke a shell script that terminates all httpd processes
followed by restarting the web server