www-apache-bugdb mailing list archives

From Jerry Morrison <je...@placeware.com>
Subject documentation/190: "IdentityCheck on" can make the server inaccessible
Date Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:50:00 GMT

>Number:         190
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       "IdentityCheck on" can make the server inaccessible
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I turned on the IdentityCheck feature make server logs more informative.
(The identity info has a place in the standard server log format.)

This worked fine on our server that's inside our firewall. But it made our
server that's outside our firewall inaccessible, at least from inside
the firewall. E.g. it didn't answer requests for server info.

Perhaps the IdentityCheck feature makes it wait forever on some info that's
blocked by the firewall.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I'd have been happy with a bold note in the documentation on IdentityCheck. I
have no idea if the software could be changed to log the identity info when
available and not get stuck on it when not available