www-announce mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Dubbo™ as a Top-Level Project
Date Tue, 21 May 2019 02:00:57 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/jjzT ]

Popular Open Source Remote Procedure Call framework in use at dozens of companies, including
Alibaba Group, China Life, China Telecom, Dangdang, Didi Chuxing, Haier, and Industrial and
Commercial Bank of China, among others.

Wakefield, MA —20 May 2019— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers,
stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives, announced
today Apache® Dubbo™ as a Top-Level Project (TLP).

Apache Dubbo is a high-performance, Java based RPC (remote procedure call) framework. The
project was originally developed at Alibaba and open-sourced in 2011, and entered the Apache
Incubator in February 2018.

"This day is not only the success of Apache Dubbo project itself, but also another success
of The Apache Way," said Ian Luo, Vice President of Apache Dubbo. "Back to the time when Dubbo
started to incubate at The Apache Software Foundation, there was a small number of initial
committers to the project, but today the number of the Dubbo committers has increased by five
times, and we are proud of having far more contributors in this project by now. It is indeed
a great journey."

The Dubbo framework specifies the methods that can be called remotely across distributed and
microservice systems. Its primary functionalities are: interface based remote call; fault
tolerance and load balancing; and automatic service registration and discovery. Features include:

 - Transparent interface based RPC – provides high performance interface based RPC, which
is transparent to users.

 - Intelligent load balancing – supports multiple load balancing strategies out of the box,
which perceives downstream service status to reduce overall latency and improve system throughput.

 - Automatic service registration and discovery – supports multiple service registries that
can detect service online/offline instantly.

 - High extensibility – micro-kernel and plugin design ensures that it can easily be extended
by third party implementation across core features like protocol, transport, and serialization.

 - Runtime traffic routing – can be configured at runtime so that traffic can be routed
according to different rules, which makes it easy to support features such as blue-green deployment,
data center aware routing, etc.

 - Visualized service governance – provides rich tools for service governance and maintenance
such as querying service metadata, health status, and statistics.

Apache Dubbo is in use at more than 150 companies, including Alibaba Group, China Life, China
Telecom, Dangdang, Didi Chuxing, Haier, Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, NetEase,
Qunar, and Youzan, among others.

"Apache Dubbo is one of the most highly visible projects that was open-sourced by Alibaba,"
said Jiangwei Jiang, Principal Engineer at Alibaba Cloud Intelligence. "Dubbo is widely used
in Alibaba and many other companies. It is one of the best designed Open Source frameworks
to develop microservices with high-throughput, complicated business logic, and sophisticated
governance."

"Congratulations to Dubbo for graduating from the Apache Incubator! Apache Dubbo, as a high-performance
service governance framework, plays a crucial role in Didi's evolution of technical architecture,"
said Donghai Shi, Senior Technical Director at Didi Chuxing. "With the rapid business growth,
our application services and business logic grows more and more complicated, we have been
facing more and more challenges in R&D efficiency and business stability. Many thanks
to Apache Dubbo, which serves as a strong support for our service governance. Based on Apache
Dubbo's service governance framework, we can be more practical and determined in building
business with microservices."

"Congratulations on Dubbo's promotion to an Apache Top-Level Project. As a core component
of service, Dubbo has a profound impact and is one of the best choices for service architecture,"
said Xiaofan Yu, Architecture of NetEase Cloud Music. "We have learned a lot from Dubbo's
design and implementation. I believe that it can develop in a more quick and stable way after
graduation and become the cornerstone of future microservice architecture."

“Congratulations to Dubbo for becoming an Apache Top-Level Project," said Ruimin Jin, Technical
Director at Youzan Cloud. "Youzan's large-scale microservice cluster is built on Apache Dubbo.
Dubbo's outstanding features, flexible design, and extensive experience in the community has
helped us to build distributed systems quickly. In the past three years, we have done a lot
of service governance based on Dubbo and achieved very good business results. I hope that
Apache Dubbo will have more achievements in multi-language in the future, and the Open Source
community can also contribute more plugins to Dubbo."

"Qunar.com first chose Apache Dubbo as service infrastructure in 2012 --doing so helped us
take fewer detours in the framework selection when we deployed it at scale," said Zhaohui
Yu, Former Senior Director, Infrastructure Department, Qunar.com. "Our team was happy to participate
in the community by fixing bugs and contributing new features over the years. Congratulations
to Dubbo for graduating as an Apache Top-Level Project: it is a great honor for all Dubbo
users."

"Congratulations to Dubbo graduating from the Apache Incubator. As a very popular SOA framework,
Apache Dubbo forms part of our infrastructure layer to support almost all different business
units within Guazi.com," said Haozhi Liu, Principal Architect at Guazi.com. "It also plays
an increasingly important role along with our technical transition from PHP to Java. Furthermore,
during our process of adopting Apache Dubbo, both the community and Project Management Committee
have been very helpful. We truly believe that with this strong community support, Apache Dubbo
project will continue to be successful in the future."

"It's both thrilling and an honor to participate in the development of Apache Dubbo," added
Luo. "Our journey continues through the excellent efforts of the greater Apache Dubbo community.
We welcome additional contributions to the source code, features, documentation, and discussions
on the mailing list."

Catch Apache Dubbo in action at the Apache Dubbo MeetUp series (26 May/Beijing, 6 July/Shenzhen,
and 17 August/Shanghai), ApacheCon North America (9-12 September/Las Vegas), and ApacheCon
Europe (22-24 October/Berlin).

Availability and Oversight
Apache Dubbo software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Dubbo, visit http://dubbo.apache.org/
and https://twitter.com/ApacheDubbo

About the Apache Incubator
The Apache Incubator is the entry path for projects and codebases wishing to become part of
the efforts at The Apache Software Foundation. All code donations from external organizations
and existing external projects seeking to join the ASF enter through the Incubator to: 1)
ensure all donations are in accordance with the ASF legal standards; and 2) develop new communities
that adhere to our guiding principles. Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects
until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. For more information, visit
http://incubator.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects that provide $20B+ worth of Apache Open Source software to the public at 100% no
cost. Through the ASF's merit-based process known as "The Apache Way," more than 730 individual
Members and 7,000 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely
available enterprise-grade software, benefiting billions of users worldwide: thousands of
software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates
in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user
conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded
by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Anonymous,
ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google,
Handshake, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Indeed, Inspur, Leaseweb, Microsoft, ODPi, Pineapple
Fund, Pivotal, Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Tencent, Union Investment, Workday,
and Verizon Media. For more information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Dubbo", "Apache Dubbo", and "ApacheCon" are
registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

# # #