www-announce mailing list archives

From "Sally Khudairi" ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache® Software Foundation Expands Infrastructure with GitHub Integration
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:02:35 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/7lio ]

Provides source code tooling services for 200M+ lines of code across 350+ Apache Projects

Wakefield, MA —29 April 2019— The Apache® Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today it has completed its Infrastructure support expansion by migrating its Git
service to GitHub.

As the world's largest Open Source foundation, the ASF's 200M+ lines of code are overseen
by an all-volunteer community of 730 individual ASF Members and 7,000 Apache code committers.
Over its 20 year history, 1,058,321,099 lines of code have been committed across 3,022,836
code commits.

Apache projects initially had two version control services available via ASF Infrastructure:
Apache Subversion and Git. Through the years, an increasing number of projects and their communities
wanted to see their source code available on GitHub. As these were read-only mirrors, the
ability to use GitHub's tools around those repositories was limited.

"In 2016, the Foundation started integrating GitHub's repository and tooling, with our own
services. This enabled selected projects to use GitHub's excellent tools," said Greg Stein,
ASF Infrastructure Administrator. "Over time, we improved, debugged, and solidified this integration.
In late 2018, we asked all projects to move away from our internal git service, to that provided
by GitHub. This shift brought all of their tooling to our projects, while we maintain a backup
mirror on our infrastructure."

GitHub makes it easier for developers to work together, to solve challenging problems, and
to create the world’s most important technologies. The platform enables teams to host and
review code, manage projects, and build software alongside 31M+ developers, 2M+ businesses
and organizations, and across 100M+ repositories.

"We're proud to have such a long standing member of the Open Source community migrate to GitHub,"
said Nat Friedman, Chief Executive Officer of GitHub. "Whether we're working with individual
Open Source maintainers and contributors or some of the world's largest Open Source foundations
like Apache, GitHub's mission is to be the home for all developers by supporting Open Source
communities, addressing their unique needs, and helping Open Source projects thrive."

In February 2019, the migration to GitHub was complete, and the ASF's own git service was
decommissioned.

"We continue to experiment and expand the set of services that GitHub can provide to our communities,
given our own needs and requirements," added Stein. "The Foundation has started working closely
with GitHub management to explore ways to make this happen, and what will be possible in the
future."

To learn more on ASF Infrastructure, visit https://www.apache.org/dev/infrastructure.html
For performance statistics, visit https://www.apache.org/uptime/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects that provide $20B+ worth of Apache Open Source software to the public at 100% no
cost. Through the ASF's merit-based process known as "The Apache Way," more than 730 individual
Members and 7,000 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely
available enterprise-grade software, benefiting billions of users worldwide: thousands of
software solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates
in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user
conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded
by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Anonymous,
ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg, Budget Direct, Capital One, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google,
Handshake, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, Indeed, Inspur, Leaseweb, Microsoft, ODPi, Pineapple
Fund, Pivotal, Private Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Tencent, Union Investment, Workday,
and Verizon Media. For more information, visit http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache" and "ApacheCon" are registered trademarks or trademarks
of The Apache Software Foundation in the United States and/or other countries. All other brands
and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #