www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache® Griffin™ as a Top-Level Project
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2018 11:01:00 GMT
[this announcement is available online at https://s.apache.org/n21m ]

Open Source Big Data quality solution in use at eBay, Expedia, Huawei, JD.com, Meituan, PayPal,
Pingan Bank, PPDAI, VIP.com, VMWare, and more.

Wakefield, MA —12 December 2018— The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of more than 350 Open Source projects and initiatives,
announced today Apache® Griffin™ as a Top-Level Project (TLP).

Apache Griffin is a robust Open Source Big Data quality solution for distributed data systems
at any scale. It provides a unified process to measure data quality from different perspectives,
as well as building and validating trusted data assets in both streaming or batch contexts.
Griffin originated at eBay and entered the Apache Incubator in December 2016.

"We are very proud of Griffin reaching this important milestone," said William Guo, Vice President
of Apache Griffin. "By actively improving Big Data quality, Griffin helps build trusted data
assets, therefore boosting your confidence in your business."

- Apache Griffin enables data scientists/analysts to handle data quality issues by:
Defining –specifying data quality requirements such as accuracy, completeness, timeliness,
profiling, etc.;

 - Measuring –source data ingested into the Griffin computing cluster will apply data quality
measurement based on user-defined requirements; and

 - Applying Metrics –data quality reports as metrics will be exported to designated destination.

In addition, Griffin allows users to easily onboard new requirements into the platform and
write comprehensive logic to further define their data quality.

Apache Griffin is in use in high volume, high demand environments at 163.com/Netease, eBay,
Expedia, Huawei, JD.com, Meituan, PayPal, Pingan Bank, PPDAI, VIP.com, and VMWare, among others.

"eBay contributed Griffin to the Apache Incubator in December 2016 to ensure its future development
in a community-driven manner. It started with the idea on how eBay could address the data
quality issue across multiple systems, especially in streaming context," said Vivian Tian,
VP of eBay, GM - China Center of Excellence. "Griffin brings data quality solution to data
ecosystem and ensure data applications have a solid quality foundation. We are extremely happy
to see Griffin graduate as an Apache Top Level Project, and look forward to continued innovation
and collaboration with the Apache community."

"We have been using Apache Griffin for about two years, monitoring 1000+ tables with data
quality metrics, and are very happy to see it graduate to a Top-Level Project," said Chao
Zhu, Senior Director at VIPshop Finance. "Apache Griffin and its data quality DSL can help
us easily identify data quality issues instantly on our big data platform. In addition, Apache
Griffin's architecture is highly extensible. We are looking forward to using it in real time
data quality management system. We also look forward to contribute some of our minor enhancement
to Griffin back to the community."

"We appreciate the Griffin project which really helps so much in our daily data jobs.After
years of struggling with the complexity of data quality issues, we turned to Apache Griffin
for a new platform that would simplify our data quality pipeline," said Jianfeng Liu, Director
of Real-time Data Department at PPDAI. "Because of Apache Griffin's unified model for both
batch and stream processing, we've been able to replace legacy systems with one solution that
works seamlessly in our production environment. Griffin DSLs have allowed us to dramatically
simplify our pipeline and to reduce our efforts a lot. I'm very proud and excited to see that
the project is graduating."

"Apache Griffin is one of the best data quality solutions which my team has been used so far.
It has been an exciting journey seeing the Griffin community evolve rapidly. And many people
iteratively adopting it and contributing to newer capabilities," said Austin Sun, Senior Engineering
Manager, Enterprise Service Platform at PayPal. "In PayPal risk domain, we benefit a lot from
Apache Griffin to provide high quality data to make precise decision and protect our customer.
In addition to PayPal risk, I knew there are several other corporates also leverages core
capability from Griffin as their data quality solution. It’s my great honor to witness Griffin
grows to a top level project. Way to go, Griffin."

"Apache Griffin project is yet another showcase how community over code can work for projects
coming out from internal usages of companies into the open source," said Henry Saputra, ASF
member and Incubator Mentor for Apache Griffin. "I am proud to be the part of the projects
and mentors for the project when it was being contributed from eBay, in addition to several
other projects already donated to ASF such as Apache Kylin and Eagle. The team has worked
tremendously hard to adapt the Apache Way, and also shown great respect for the open source
community in all the processes for design, development, and release processes.As a Top-Level
Project I believe the PMC will help lead the project to much more success in the future."

"Graduation is not the end, it is the beginning of another journey. We hope to take Apache
Griffin to the next level with a wider set of features and users," added Guo. "We welcome
anyone to join our efforts by helping with product design, documentation, code, technical
discussions or promoting Apache Griffin in The Apache Way."

Availability and Oversight
Apache Griffin software is released under the Apache License v2.0 and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. For
downloads, documentation, and ways to become involved with Apache Griffin, visit http://griffin.apache.org/
and https://twitter.com/apachegriffin

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than 350 leading Open Source
projects, including Apache HTTP Server --the world's most popular Web server software. Through
the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 730 individual Members
and 6,800 Committers across six continents successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(c)(3) charitable organization, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including Aetna, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Anonymous, ARM, Baidu, Bloomberg,
Budget Direct, Capital One, Cerner, Cloudera, Comcast, Facebook, Google, Handshake, Hortonworks,
Huawei, IBM, Indeed, Inspur, LeaseWeb, Microsoft, Oath, ODPi, Pineapple Fund, Pivotal, Private
Internet Access, Red Hat, Target, Tencent, and Union Investment. For more information, visit
http://apache.org/ and https://twitter.com/TheASF

© The Apache Software Foundation. "Apache", "Griffin", "Apache Griffin", and "ApacheCon"
are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation in the United States
and/or other countries. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective
owners.

# # #