www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Stanbol as a Top-Level Project
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:00:42 GMT
>> this message is also available online at http://s.apache.org/ul1

European Union-seeded modular Open Source framework enables and extends semantic content management.

Forest Hill, MD -- 1 October 2012 -- The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today
announced that Apache Stanbol has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level
Project (TLP), signifying that the Project's community and products have been well-governed
under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles.

Created to extend traditional content management systems with semantic services, Apache Stanbol
offers semantic services for automatic content enhancement, a process where plain text is
automatically enriched with meta-data, e.g. about persons, places and organizations, from
external data sources. Stanbol's customized enhancement engines and process chains can be
designed for user-specific enhancement tasks, enabling automatic content annotation and linking.

"The graduation also acknowledges the success of Apache Stanbol in bringing semantic technologies
and content management communities together," explained Fabian Christ, Vice President of Apache
Stanbol.

Providing reusable components that can be used to enhance content automatically is an important
step in lifting existing content to a level that makes it more useable for all kinds of tasks,
including a better search experience. Adding meta-data to content and linking the content
to other existing resources adds the kind of value that could make the difference in many
industrial use cases.

"Searchbox is leveraging the Stanbol framework for the Fusepool project as the core framework
for processing unstructured and plain text information sources," explained Stéphane Gamard
from Searchbox. "Thanks to Stanbol, different information sources can be processed, semantically
enhanced and delivered to a front-end web application for an intuitive and advanced user experience."

Initially developed within the European Union's IKS EU Research Project, Stanbol entered the
Apache Incubator in November 2010 and was quickly embraced as an ideal framework that makes
semantic technologies useable for developers of content management systems. The Project provides
a set of predefined enhancement engines including engines for language detection, named entity
recognition, and engines for linking entities to linked open data (LOD) sources like DBPedia
or geonames.org.

"CELI France, thanks to the integration with Stanbol, we were able to integrate our curriculum
vitae (CV) parsing technology with main stream open source document management system, said
Luca Dini from CELI.  "Moreover the final user experience was empowered by automatic linking
with external LOD sources, which allowed true semantic reasoning over information linguistically
extracted from CVs".

"GOSS Interactive demonstrated integration with Apache Stanbol to automatically add semantic
mark-up and additional meta-data to managed content while it was still an incubator project,"
said Gary Ratcliffe from GOSS. "The graduation ensures the availability of Stanbol as a platform
on which new semantic services can be developed in the future."

Availability and Oversight
Apache Stanbol software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. Apache
Stanbol source code, documentation, mailing lists, and related resources are available at
http://stanbol.apache.org/

A timeline of the project's history through graduation is also available from the Apache Incubator.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server -- the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way", more than 400
individual Members and 3,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)© not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Citrix, Cloudera, Facebook, Go Daddy,
Google, HP, Hortonworks, Huawei, IBM, InMotion Hosting, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group,
SpringSource/VMware, WANdisco,
 and Yahoo!. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/ or follow @TheASF on Twitter.

"Apache", "Stanbol", "Apache Stanbol", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache Software
Foundation. All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

CONTACT: Sally Khudairi
         Vice President
         The Apache Software Foundation