www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [announce] The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Rave as a Top-Level Project
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:00:37 GMT
[this announcement is also available online at http://s.apache.org/SxF]

Open Source mashup platform provides easy-to-use infrastructure for building and integrating
with social media standards including Activity Streams, OpenSocial, W3C Widgets, and more.

Forest Hill, MD -- The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer developers, stewards,
and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today announced that Apache
Rave has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project (TLP), signifying
that the Project's community and products have been well-governed under the ASF's meritocratic
process and principles.

Apache Rave is an Open Source software mashup platform that allows developers to build and
engage with an array of social network technologies such as OpenSocial, Activity Streams,
and W3C Widgets. Rave's lightweight and extensible approach to robust personalization and
collaboration capabilities supports a simple model for integration across other platforms,
services and solutions.

"Internet social platforms, such as Facebook, Google+, and Twitter have shaped the expectations
of today's users; creating an onslaught of demand for pervasive social integration within
both consumer and enterprise applications," said Matthew B. Franklin, Vice President of Apache
Rave and Lead Software Engineer at The MITRE Corporation. "Developers today are constantly
faced with the need to deliver low-cost, scalable, modularized applications with deep-rooted
social capabilities. Apache Rave is the first open source project chartered to deliver a lightweight,
flexible, widget-based platform to meet these demands."

Apache Rave bundles the efforts of several independent Open Source initiatives that address
similar functionality and requirements into a single, enterprise-grade platform that easily
scales across federated application integrations, social intranets, and multi-channel social
communities with enhanced personalization and customized content delivery.

Developed on open standards, Apache Rave is collaboratively supported by individuals from
a wide range of corporations, non-commercial organizations, and institutes from around the
world. Seeded by code donations from The MITRE Corporation, Indiana University Pervasive Technology
Institute, SURFnet, OSS Watch, Hippo, and numerous individual developers; interest in Apache
Rave continues, and the Project welcomes new participants to its growing community.

"Apache Rave takes the good bits from traditional Portals, leaves out whatever made them so
heavy-weight and adds modern web technologies like OpenSocial, Widgets, Social Networking,
Mobile delivery and Content Services. Rave has already proven to be a platform not to be underestimated.
Hippo is proud to be an initiator and participant of this project, and plans to make Rave
an integral part of its context-aware content delivery platform", said Ate Douma, Apache Rave
incubating Champion and Chief Architect for open-source CMS vendor Hippo.

"The Apache Rave project delivers a perfect platform for our personalized University Portal.
Together with SURFnet we hope to develop, integrate and use all possible OpenSocial aspects
to benefit our Academic community to the fullest," said Sander Liemberg, Project Manager at
the University of Groningen, The Netherlands.

"As participants in Apache Rave, we are very interested in applying its capabilities to managing
scientific collaborations and access to computing resources. Rave is also interesting because
of its capacity to be extended by developers: Rave provides a packaged, out-of-the box experience,
but we are also trying to ensure it is can also serve as a starting point for developers who
wish to extend its capabilities," said Marlon Pierce, Science Gateway Group Lead at Indiana
University and Apache Rave PMC Member. "In particular, we at Indiana University are taking
the specialized requirements of the National Science Foundation XSEDE Science Gateway program."

Since entering the Apache Incubator in March 2011, the Apache Rave project has successfully
produced several code releases in preparation of its first production-ready, v1.0 release.
In addition, Apache Rave recently received an honorable mention in the 2011 Open Source Rookies
of the Year awards.

"We are pleased to have been a founding member of the Apache Rave community and are excited
for the future of the project. Rave will be a cornerstone capability for our internal and
external users, and we look forward to the continued collaboration and co-development with
the community," said Joel Jacobs, Chief Information Officer, The MITRE Corporation.

Availability and Oversight

Apache Rave software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected
team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC) guides the
Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases. Apache
Rave source code, documentation, mailing lists, and related resources are available at http://rave.apache.org/

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server -- the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 350
individual Members and 3,000 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP,
Hortonworks, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!. For more
information, visit
 http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache", "Apache Rave", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

#  #  #