www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [announce] The ASF is Participating in Google Summer of Code 2012 as a Mentoring Organization
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:31:31 GMT
[this announcement is also available online at http://s.apache.org/9VB]

The Apache Software Foundation will be participating in the Google Summer of Code again this
year as a mentoring organization.

Google Summer of Code is a program where students work on open source projects backed by a
stipend granted by Google. The Apache Software Foundation has been participating in the program
since its inception in 2005.

Each year, 30-40 students are guided by volunteer mentors from various Apache communities.
During the summer they learn what it means to participate in a diverse open source community
and develop open source software "The Apache Way". Many of past students are now active contributors
to our projects.

This year we hope to build on our previous successes and again build student interest and
enthusiasm in The Apache Software Foundation. Our list of project ideas (at http://s.apache.org/gsoc2012tasks)
already contains over 100 ideas spanning more than 25 Apache projects. But that's only what
we have come up with. A lot of students have their very own itch to scratch and approach our
projects with their own ideas.

If you are enrolled as a university student and always wanted to get involved with Apache,
here's is your chance. Browse our ideas list, approach the projects you are most interested
in, discuss your ideas, get involved, code the summer away, and at the end, get a nice paycheck
from Google!

# # #