www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Deltacloud as a Top-Level Project
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:53:58 GMT
[this announcement is also available online at http://s.apache.org/my]

Innovative Open Source interoperability toolkit provides any-platform access and support for
all major Cloud service providers

Forest Hill, MD – 15 February 2012 – The Apache Software Foundation (ASF),  the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today
announced that Apache Deltacloud has graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level
Project (TLP), signifying that the Project’s community and products have been well-governed
under the ASF’s meritocratic process and principles.

Apache Deltacloud defines a RESTful Web Service application programming interface (API) for
interacting with Cloud service providers and resources in those clouds in a unified manner.
In addition, it consists of a number of implementations of this API for the most popular Clouds
such as Amazon, Eucalyptus, GoGrid, IBM, Microsoft, OpenStack, Rackspace, and more. In addition
to the API server, the project also provides client libraries for a wide variety of languages.

"We are thrilled to have the project's growth and maturity recognized by The Apache Software
Foundation," said David Lutterkort, Chair of the Apache Deltacloud Project Management Committee
and Principal Software Engineer at Red Hat., "Deltacloud has shown the value of vendor-neutral
cloud management API's, and we are excited that, as an Apache Top-Level Project, we will continue
to provide choice to cloud users; graduation is a great milestone for our community."

"Ubiquity between clouds will be critical in the coming years and Deltacloud enables developers
to only have to code towards one API," said Mark Worsey, CIO and EVP of Technology at GoGrid.
"At GoGrid, we feel it is extremely important to continue openness within the cloud community
and provide APIs that are accessible, useful and adopted by other 3rd party libraries like
Deltacloud."

"Deltacloud is another example of how open source development continues to drive cloud innovation
and development," said Tim Cramer, Vice President of Engineering at Eucalyptus Systems.

"Deltacloud delivers an elegant ReST API, focused on exposing the differences between cloud
services. jclouds and Deltacloud have a strong history together, starting with collaborating
on abstraction design in 2009, spiking with our interface to Deltacloud released last year.
I'm excited to see Deltacloud's graduation, and looking forward to more shared code this year,"
said Adrian Cole, founder of jclouds.org and CTO jclouds at CloudSoft.

Initially proposed for development within the ASF by Lutterkort in May 2010, Deltacloud was
seeded with code developed by Red Hat. Since then, the project has continued to innovate by
expanding both its committer base and the diversity of clouds it can manage.

Availability and Oversight
Apache Deltacloud software is released under the Apache License v2.0, and is overseen by a
self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project Management Committee (PMC)
guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community development and product releases.
Apache Deltacloud source code, documentation, mailing lists, and related resources are available
at http://deltacloud.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 350
individual Members and 3,000 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP,
Hortonworks, Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!. For more
information, visit
 http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache", "Apache Deltacloud", and "ApacheCon" are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation.
All other brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

#  #  #