www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Geronimo v3.0-beta-1
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:01:15 GMT
[announcement also available online at http://s.apache.org/4sN]

The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Geronimo v3.0-beta-1 -– Leading Open Source
Application Server Now Certified Java EE 6 Full- and Web Profile Compatible

Flexible, modular, and easy to manage, Apache Geronimo is the ideal platform for lightweight
server deployments to full-scale enterprise environments, with complete support for Java EE
6 and OSGi programming models

16 November 2011 --FOREST HILL, MD-- The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today
announced that Apache Geronimo has obtained certification as a compatible implementation of
both the Java EE 6 Full and Web Profiles. Apache Geronimo v3.0-beta-1 joins the Java EE 6
Reference Implementation as the only Open Source application server to be compatible with
both Full and Web Profiles support.

"We're very happy to announce this significant milestone for the project," said Kevan Miller,
Vice President of Apache Geronimo. "In addition to the Java EE 6 capabilities we've added
to the product, Geronimo is now restructured to run on an OSGi kernel. Plus, we've added support
for an enterprise OSGi application programming model -- a key enhancement for enterprise application
developers wishing to take advantage of the modularity, dynamism, and versioning capabilities
offered by OSGi".

Apache Geronimo integrates a number of ASF projects into an easy to manage, flexible, and
modular application server. Java EE technologies utilized by Apache Geronimo include: Apache
Tomcat, Apache OpenJPA, Apache OpenEJB, Apache MyFaces, Apache OpenWebBeans, Apache ActiveMQ,
Apache Axis, Apache Wink, and Apache Bean Validation. OSGi technologies which are contained
within Apache Geronimo include: Apache Aries, Apache Felix, and Apache Karaf. This wide array
of Apache projects illustrates the breadth and depth of the software solutions developed at
the Apache Software Foundation.

"Our move to OSGi has represented a signficant amount of internal restructuring, but this
restructuring leaves us well positioned for future developments," explained Miller. "The Apache
Aries, Apache Karaf, and Apache Felix projects have provided us a great base for our Geronimo
3.0 OSGi enhancments. The same is true for the Java EE technologies developed at the ASF:
we couldn't have accomplished this without them".

Availability and Oversight
As with all Apache products, Apache Geronimo v3.0-beta-1 is released under the Apache License
v2.0, and is overseen by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. A Project
Management Committee (PMC) guides the Project's day-to-day operations, including community
development and product releases. Apache Geronimo source code, documentation, and related
resources are available at http://geronimo.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 350
individual Members and 3,000 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP,
Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, PSW Group, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!. For more information,
visit http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache" and "Apache Geronimo" are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other
brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

Media Contact:
Sally Khudairi
The Apache Software Foundation