www-announce mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] Apache CXF 2.4.0 released!
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:16:59 GMT

The Apache CXF team is proud to announce the availability of the 2.4.0
release.

Apache CXF is an open source services framework. CXF helps you build and
develop services using frontend programming APIs like JAX-WS and JAX-RS.
These services can speak a variety of protocols such as SOAP, XML/HTTP,
RESTful HTTP, or  CORBA and work over a variety of transports such as
HTTP, JMS or JBI.

CXF includes a broad feature set, but it is primarily focused on the following
areas:

* Web Services Standards Support: CXF supports a variety of web service
standards including SOAP, the WSI Basic Profile, WSDL, WS-Addressing,
WS-Policy, WS-ReliableMessaging, WS-Security, WS-SecurityPolicy,
WS-Trust, and WS-SecureConversation.

* REST based service creation based on JAX-RS 1.1 standard API's.

* Frontends: CXF supports a variety of "frontend" programming models. CXF
provides a JAX-WS 2.2 Compliant frontend. It also includes a "simple
frontend" which allows creation of clients and endpoints without annotations.
CXF supports both contract first development with WSDL and code first
development starting from Java.

* Ease of use: CXF is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. There  are
simple APIs to quickly build code-first services, Maven plug-ins to make
tooling integration easy, JAX-WS API support, Spring  XML support to make
configuration a snap, and much more.

What's new in CXF 2.4.0:
* WS-Security improvements including support for SAML2 tokens, improved
validation of security tokens, better performance, increased WS-I Basic
Security Profile compliance, and much more.
* JiBX databinding
* Transformation feature provides for a fast and effective way to transform
inbound and/or outbound XML messages for JAX-RS.
* LogBrowser console for viewing the CXF logs
* Enhanced OSGi support including initial Apache Aries Blueprint support and
an Apache Karaf features file to make installing in OSGi easier.
* Much faster startup and reduced memory footprint along with easier
configuration and embedability.

See the 2.4 Migration guide at:
http://cxf.apache.org/docs/24-migration-guide.html
for more details about the release and the new features.

As always, we welcome feedback on our mailing lists:

Downloads are available from:
http://cxf.apache.org/download.html

Thanks!
The Apache CXF Team