www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Chemistry as a Top-Level Project
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2011 13:02:18 GMT
[this announcement is also available online at http://s.apache.org/lX]

Open Source implementation of the CMIS standard widely used in Enterprise Content Management
solutions, such as Adobe, Alfresco, Nuxeo, OpenText, SAP, and more.

Forest Hill, MD – 23 February 2011 – The Apache Software Foundation (ASF), the all-volunteer
developers, stewards, and incubators of nearly 150 Open Source projects and initiatives, today
announced that Apache Chemistry has graduated from the Apache Incubator as a Top-Level Project
(TLP). This signifies that the Apache Chemistry community and products have been well-governed
under the ASF's meritocratic, consensus-driven process and principles.

Apache Chemistry is an Open Source implementation of the OASIS CMIS (Content Management Interoperability
Services) standard. The project provides an interoperable API to CMIS repositories such as
Alfresco, EMC Documentum, IBM FileNet, Microsoft SharePoint, Nuxeo, OpenText Enterprise Library
Services, and other CMIS-compliant content repositories. It also provides libraries to build
CMIS-compliant repository connectors.

"Apache Chemistry is successfully driving adoption of the CMIS standard," said Apache Chemistry
Vice President Florian Müller. "An Apache Open Source implementation of CMIS is ideal for
growing a developer community around the standard, which will improve interoperability, create
new tools, and foster innovation."

Originally submitted to the Apache Incubator in May 2009 as a single, Java-focused project,
Apache Chemistry today comprises the following sub-projects:

1. OpenCMIS – CMIS client and server libraries for Java, as well as test tools for content
repository developers and client application developers. Version 0.2 was released in January
2011;
2. cmislib – CMIS client library for Python. Version 0.4 was released in February 2011;
3. phpclient – CMIS client library for PHP. Already used in production, the sub-project’s
first release will be made in the near future;
4. DotCMIS – CMIS client library for .NET.  Contributed to the Apache Chemistry project
in January 2011; work is underway on its initial release.

Apache Chemistry is widely used in enterprise content management solutions and for CMIS implementation
verification. Its flagship sub-project, OpenCMIS, is deployed in both Open Source and commercial
products and solutions by Adobe, Alfresco, Metaversant, Nuxeo, OpenText, OpenWGA, and SAP,
among others.

"Nuxeo is very happy to see Apache Chemistry finalize its incubation phase and move forward
to become a top-level Apache project", said Florent Guillaume, Director of R&D at Nuxeo.
"We have supported Chemistry from the start, and we are so confident in the technology that
we have included it as a core connector for the Nuxeo Enterprise Platform. Through Chemistry,
many software platforms, such as Java, Python, PHP, and .NET, will be able to adopt the CMIS
specification, which benefits both servers storing content documents or other assets, and
the applications interacting with them."

"CMIS is here, it works and it works well," said Nathan McMinn, Software Engineer at Ansell.
"Having a standard interface to our content repositories makes integrating Ansell's various
CMS systems with our applications much simpler. While the server support for the standard
is of course essential, it is of limited value without stable client libraries. Sure, we could
write our own client interface to CMIS, but with a project like Apache Chemistry there is
no need. Chemistry gives us the tools we need to connect most of our major platforms (based
on PHP, Python and Java) to our existing content stores, saving us time, money and headaches
in the process."

Supporting Standards Drives Industry Adoption
Many Apache Chemistry code committers are also members of the OASIS CMIS Technical Committee.
The project is community-driven, allowing for greater transparency and direct feedback during
the definition and improvement process of future CMIS specifications. Two OpenCMIS sandbox
projects are currently being used to implement and test new CMIS 1.1 features.

"As a supporter for open source and open standards, Alfresco is pleased to have contributed
resources to the Apache Chemistry project and to see it pass through the incubation phase,"
said John Newton, CTO and Chairman at Alfresco. "Alfresco was instrumental in driving the
CMIS standard from its inception. The Apache Chemistry project will drive wider adoption of
CMIS and allow developers to build new social content management applications leveraging the
Alfresco open source platform."

"The big benefit of CMIS for customers is that it lets them do more with content no matter
where it's located across the enterprise," said Richard Anstey, Vice President of Product
Management at OpenText. "With the graduation of Apache Chemistry to the top level, a number
of barriers to broader CMIS adoption are being removed. This will help ensure that customers
derive maximum benefit from their investment in the OpenText ECM Suite 2010, which offers
CMIS support for server-to-server and server-to-client interoperability."

"SAP envisions the usage of OpenCMIS as a base technology in the SAP NetWeaver® platform,"
said Björn Goerke, senior vice president, Technology and Innovation Platform Core, SAP. "The
OASIS specification, which has been developed through co-innovation efforts, is driving forward
standardization, through which our customers will be able to gain more from their existing
content management systems with SAP® applications."

"Apache Jackrabbit welcomes Apache Chemistry as a sibling top-level project," said Apache
Jackrabbit Vice President Jukka Zitting. "We helped mentor the Chemistry community early on,
and we are excited to see them reach this milestone. The success of Chemistry and CMIS is
another testament to the combined strength of open source and open standards."

Availability and Oversight
All Apache products are released under the Apache Software License v2.0, and are overseen
by a self-selected team of active contributors to the project. Upon a Project's maturity to
a TLP, a Project Management Committee (PMC) is formed to guide its day-to-day operations,
including community development and product releases. Apache Chemistry source code, documentation,
and related resources are available at http://chemistry.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees nearly one hundred fifty leading
Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server
software. Through the ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," more than 300
individual Members and 2,500 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available
enterprise-grade software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions
are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing
lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings,
and expo. The ASF is a US 501(3)(c) not-for-profit charity, funded by individual donations
and corporate sponsors including AMD, Basis Technology, Cloudera, Facebook, Google, IBM, HP,
Matt Mullenweg, Microsoft, SpringSource, and Yahoo!. For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/.

"Apache" and "Apache Chemistry" are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation. All other
brands and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

# # #

Contact:
Sally Khudairi
The Apache Software Foundation