www-announce mailing list archives

From Sally Khudairi ...@apache.org>
Subject Press Release: The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Cassandra Release 0.6
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:06:01 GMT
Newest version of leading Open Source, NoSQL distributed database management system now available.

FOREST HILL, MD – 13 April, 2010 – The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) --developers,
stewards, and incubators of 138 Open Source projects-- today announced Apache Cassandra version
0.6, the Project's latest release first since its graduation from the ASF Incubator in February
2010.

Apache Cassandra is an advanced, second-generation “NoSQL” distributed data store that
has a shared-nothing architecture. The Cassandra decentralized model provides massive scalability,
and is highly available with no single point of failure even under the worst scenarios.

release Cassandra 0.6," said Jonathan Ellis, Apache Cassandra Project Management Committee
Chair. "It's fantastic seeing the Project's community at the ASF grow to match the promise
of the technology."

Originally developed at Facebook and submitted to the ASF Incubator in 2009, the Project has
added more than a half-dozen new committers, and is deployed by dozens of high-profile users
such as Cisco WebEx, Cloudkick, Digg, Facebook, Rackspace, Reddit, and Twitter, among others.

"The services we provide to customers are only as good the systems they are built on," said
Eric Evans, Apache Cassandra committer and Systems Architect at The Rackspace Cloud. "With
Cassandra, we get the fault-tolerance and availability our customers demand, and the scalability
we need to make things work."

Cassandra 0.6 features include:

- Support for Apache Hadoop: this allows running analytics queries with the leading map/reduce
framework against data in Cassandra.

"Digg is very excited to see Cassandra mature in the last year and graduate to a top-level
Apache project. Cassandra is powering our next generation infrastructure, and allowing us
to run in an environment that demands data access in datacenters around the world," said Chris
Goffinet, Performance and Availability Architect at social news website Digg.

- Integrated row cache: this eliminates the need for a separate caching layer, thereby simplifying
architectures.

Powering more than 10 billion pages, Twitter switched to Apache Cassandra because it can run
on large server clusters and is capable of taking in very large amounts of data at a time.
Storage Team Technical Lead Ryan King explained, "At Twitter, we're deploying Cassandra to
tackle scalability, flexibility and operability issues in a way that's more highly available
and cost effective than our current systems."

- Increased speed: this builds on Cassandra's highly-launded ability to process thousands
of writes per second, allowing solutions of all kinds to cope with increasing write loads.

"Apache Cassandra 0.6 is 30% faster across the board, building on our already-impressive speed,"
added Ellis. "It achieves scale-out without making the kind of design compromises that result
in operations teams getting paged at 2 AM."

Availability

Released under the Apache Software License v2.0, Apache Cassandra 0.6 can be downloaded at
http://cassandra.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than seventy leading Open
Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server — the world's most popular Web server software.
Through The ASF's meritocratic process known as "The Apache Way," nearly 300 individual Members
and 2,000 Committers successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software solutions are distributed
under the Apache License; and the community actively participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring
initiatives, and ApacheCon, the Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo.
The ASF is funded by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Facebook, Google,
HP, Microsoft, Progress Software, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo! For more information, visit
http://www.apache.org/.

# # #