www-announce mailing list archives

From c..@apache.org
Subject Announcing Pivot as a Top Level Project
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:36:44 GMT
The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Pivot as Top-Level Project
Version 1.4 of platform for building rich Internet applications in Java now available.

For Immediate Release

Contact:

Sally Khudairi
The Apache Software Foundation
+1 617 921 8656
press@apache.org

Greg Brown
Apache Pivot Project Management Committee
gbrown@apache.org

FOREST HILL, MD  19 January, 2010  The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) today
announced the graduation of Apache Pivot as a Top-Level Project (TLP),
signifying that the Project's community and products have been well-governed
under the ASF's meritocratic process and principles. In addition, the Project
announced the release of Apache Pivot 1.4, the fourth update since joining the
Apache Incubator in January 2009. Apache Pivot is a platform for building rich
Internet applications (RIAs) in Java. It combines the enhanced productivity
and usability features of a modern RIA toolkit with the robustness of the
industry-standard Java platform. Pivot provides a foundation upon which
sophisticated and engaging applications can be easily built and deployed
over the Web. Because Pivot applications are written in Java, they can take
full advantage of the comprehensive feature set and extensive industry
support of the Java platform. "Users have much higher expectations for
Web applications now than they did 10 years ago," said Greg Brown, Chair
of the Apache Pivot Project Management Committee (PMC) and Principal
Consultant at Cantina Consulting. "This is why we're seeing tools like Flex
and Silverlight beginning to gain traction; however, both of these
require developers who are otherwise happy using Java to switch technologies.
Pivot is an attempt to create a modern, rich client development platform in
Java."

Pivot provides a comprehensive set of standard user interface elements ranging
from simple buttons to editable tree and table controls. It also includes a
number of features that significantly simplify development of modern GUI
applications, including an XML markup language for declaring the structure
of a user interface, data binding, animated effects and transitions, and Web
services integration.

"I've tried the demos and I was stunned," said Pivot user Trelieux Einagen.
"The framework uses easy to understand markup for the applet front end while
at the same time taking advantage of the power of Java for business logic
and server side processing...I think the Java community in general is
fortunate enough to have those guys at Pivot stand up and build something that
can actually compete RIGHT NOW with the likes of Flash/Flex and Microsoft
Silverlight/WPF without losing your sanity." Pivot user Scott Lanham said,
"The current default theme has a nice clean look and feel...I am impressed
with the good selection of widgets. They appear to cover just about every
need of an application...Well done with Pivot!" "Thank you guys with coming up
with Pivot," said Java developer and Pivot user N. Forbes. "Java really,
really needs a smooth, coherent RIA next generation framework to 'seriously'
compete with the likes of Flex and SilverLight/WPF...I saw someone comment
on the Pivot Framework that it leverages existing Java skills to make the
transition to the framework as seamless as possible. I looked at the source
code and screamed out in joy: you guys may actually end up bailing out the
Java RIA from pure academic obscurity and back into the more popular sphere
of mind." Apache Pivot 1.4 is released under the Apache Software License v2.0
and can be downloaded at http://pivot.apache.org/.

About The Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
Established in 1999, the all-volunteer Foundation oversees more than seventy
leading Open Source projects, including Apache HTTP Server the world's most
popular Web server software. Through The ASF's meritocratic process known as
"The Apache Way," nearly 300 individual Members and 2,000 Committers
successfully collaborate to develop freely available enterprise-grade
software, benefiting millions of users worldwide: thousands of software
solutions are distributed under the Apache License; and the community actively
participates in ASF mailing lists, mentoring initiatives, and ApacheCon, the
Foundation's official user conference, trainings, and expo. The ASF is funded
by individual donations and corporate sponsors including Facebook, Google, HP,
Microsoft, Progress Software, SpringSource/VMware, and Yahoo!
For more information, visit http://www.apache.org/.