www-announce mailing list archives

From Matthieu Riou <mr...@apache.org>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] Apache ODE 1.3.3
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2009 04:41:03 GMT
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of ODE 1.3.3, a security release of
Apache ODE. It fixes a vulnerability in the process deployment that allowed,
using a forged message, to create, overwrite or delete files on the server
file system. See the full vulnerability announcement below.

Apache ODE is a WS-BPEL compliant web service orchestration engine. It
organizes web services calls following a process description written in the
BPEL XML grammar. Another way to describe it would be a web-service capable
workflow engine.

This new release also includes new features, bug fixes and improvements See
the release notes for an exhaustive list for
details.<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODE/fixforversion/12313906>

For more information, check the Apache ODE website:
http://ode.apache.org/

Apache ODE is an open source project released under a business-friendly
license (Apache License v2.0), as such we welcome your help and
contributions. To participate and get involved, our mailing lists are the
best resources to start from:

Thank you,
The Apache ODE Team

------

CVE-2008-2370: Apache ODE information disclosure vulnerability

Severity: Medium

Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation

Versions Affected: ODE 1.0-incubating to ODE 1.3.2. The unsupported ODE
2.0-beta1 and 2.0-beta2 are also affected.

messages with forged names. Using a path for the name was allowing directory
traversal, resulting in the potential writing of files under unwanted
locations (like a new WAR under a webapp deployment directory), the
overwriting of existing files or their deletion.

Mitigation: 1.x users should upgrade to 1.3.3. 2.0-betaX users should obtain
the latest source from svn or apply the patch published under
http://people.apache.org/~mriou/CVE-2008-2370-patch.txt<http://people.apache.org/%7Emriou/CVE-2008-2370-patch.txt>.

Example: Deleting a file /tmp/blabla using undeploy by sending the following
message to the deployment service:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
xmlns:pmap="http://www.apache.org/ode/pmapi">
  <soapenv:Header/>
  <soapenv:Body>
     <pmap:undeploy>
<packageName>../../../../../../../../../../../../../../tmp/blabla</packageName>
     </pmap:undeploy>
  </soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>
Credit: This issue was discovered by ´╗┐Marc Schoenefeld of Red Hat.