www-announce mailing list archives

From "Martijn Dashorst" <dasho...@apache.org>
Subject [announce] Apache Wicket 1.4-m3 is released
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:13:34 GMT
Help the Apache Wicket team to determine the future of your Wicket
based web application development. We have released our third and
hopefully final milestone release of our Java 5 based web framework
and are anxious to receive feedback on our use of generics.

A significant change from the earlier Wicket 1.4 milestone versions is
that Component is no longer generified. This means that Component and
most of its subclasses in Wicket do not take a class-level type
parameter. Some Component subclasses remain generified, such as Link,
Form, FormComponent, ListView, etc. You can read more details
regarding these changes here:

 * http://wicket.apache.org/wicket-14-m3-news.html
 * http://www.nabble.com/generics-to18083910.html#a18083910

We feel that this might provide a good middle ground between being
unable to add typing to IModel on one hand and a proliferation of
unneeded typing information on modelless components on the other hand.
Your feedback is appreciated!

Download Wicket 1.4-m3 now and help us decide whether to tone down,
remove or increase the application of Java 5 generics to our API. We
have started the discussion on the user mailing list:

 * http://www.nabble.com/users%2C-please-give-us-your-opinion%3A-what-is-your-take-on-generics-with-Wicket-td17589984.html

Eager people click here to download the distribution, others can read further:

 * http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4-m3

We thank you for your patience and support.

-- The Wicket Team

=== Apache Wicket ===

Apache Wicket is a component oriented Java web application framework.
With proper mark-up/logic separation, a POJO data model, and a
refreshing lack of XML, Apache Wicket makes developing web-apps simple
and enjoyable again. Swap the boilerplate, complex debugging and
brittle code for powerful, reusable components written with plain Java
and HTML.

You can find out more about Apache Wicket on our website:

 * http://wicket.apache.org

=== This release ===

The Apache Wicket team is proud to announce the availability of the
third milestone release of our first java 1.5 Wicket version: Apache
Wicket 1.4-m3. This is the first release with java 1.5 as a minimum.
Almost everything has been converted to java 1.5. If you find
something missing, please help us and send a message to the dev@ or
user@ list.

=== Migrating from 1.3 ===

If you are coming from Wicket 1.3, you really want to read our
migration guide, found on the wiki:

 * http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/migrate-14.html

=== Downloading the release ===

You can download the release from the official Apache mirror system,
and you can find it through the following link:

 * http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4-m3/

For the Maven and Ivy fans out there: update your pom's to the
following, and everything will be downloaded automatically:

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.apache.wicket</groupId>
    <artifactId>wicket</artifactId>
    <version>1.4-m3</version>
</dependency>

Substitute the artifact ID with the projects of your liking to get the
other projects.

Please note that we don't prescribe a Logging implementation for
SLF4J. You need to specify yourself which one you prefer. Read more
about SLF4J here: http://slf4j.org

=== Validating the release ===

The release has been signed by Martijn Dashorst, your release manager
for today. The public key can be found in the KEYS file in the
download area. Download the KEYS file only from the Apache website.

 * http://www.apache.org/dist/wicket/1.4-m3/KEYS

Instructions on how to validate the release can be found here:

 * http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html#check-integrity

=== Reporting bugs ===

In case you do encounter a bug, we would appreciate a report in our JIRA:

 * http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WICKET

=== The distribution ===

In the distribution you will find a README. The README contains
instructions on how to build from source yourself. You also find a
CHANEGELOG-1.4 which contains a list of all things that have been
fixed, added and/or removed since the first release in the 1.4 branch.