www-announce mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@apache.org>
Subject Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Geronimo as an Official Project
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:20:37 GMT

  FOREST HILL, Md., June 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The Apache Software Foundation
(ASF) announced today that Apache Geronimo has been approved as an
official project of the ASF.  The objective of the Apache Geronimo project
is to produce an open source, certified implementation of the Java 2
Platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE) specification licensed under the
Apache License and offered to the public at no charge.

    Since its inception in August 2003, the Geronimo project has been
working under the oversight of the Apache Incubator, a process used by the
ASF to ensure new projects build a healthy community.  The process also
provides oversight and inspection of the codebase to ensure that it
conforms to the Foundation's high standards for licensing and code
integrity.

    "In approving the change to official project status, the board
recognizes that the Geronimo project practices the Foundation's approach
to high quality, community-oriented, open source software development,"
said Greg Stein, Chairman of the Board, Apache Software Foundation.  "The
board believes that the Geronimo project is an excellent addition to the
software that we provide to our users and a great step forward for the
open-source J2EE community."

    As an official project, Geronimo will continue towards its goal of
certification as a J2EE server, with certification anticipated for the
third quarter of 2004.  Geronimo's success has only been possible through
extensive collaboration with other open source enterprise middleware
communities. Geronimo currently brings together Apache Tomcat and Apache
Axis from the ASF, OpenEJB and ActiveMQ from Codehaus, JOTM and ASM from
ObjectWeb, CGLIB and MX4J from SourceForge and Jetty from Mortbay.

    "By combining the architectural experience of the Geronimo team with
the expertise of our partner communities, we have been able to build a
great J2EE server in a short amount of time," said Dain Sundstrom, a
Geronimo cofounder and community member.  "By working closely with other
open-source projects outside of the ASF, we are able to grow the Geronimo
community by tens of participants at a time, and that really is building a
strong, diverse community."

    In parallel with development efforts, the project will continue to
build a strong and diverse community of users and developers and look for
opportunities to collaborate with other open-source communities working
towards similar goals.

    "Enterprise middleware is an important segment of the open source
software community, and we are happy that the ASF is able to participate
so significantly through the Apache Geronimo project," said Geir Magnusson
Jr, project chair.  "Moving to official project status validates the
momentum that the project has already attained, and this will only
increase as we progress towards our first certified release."