ws-xmlrpc-dev mailing list archives

From rufio <ru...@op.pl>
Subject Re: xml-rpc
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:51:36 GMT
on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:22:23 +0100 "John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk>
wrote:

> rufio wrote:
> > on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:44:01 +0100 "John Wilson" <tug@wilson.co.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> rufio wrote:
> [stuf]
>
> You have not addressed the encoding issue.

You are talking about technical issues so I assume that you agree it's
good to have possibility to use different transports :)

> This is really a quite
> fundamental problem with what you propose. If the XML generation code
> doesn't generate an XML header then it needs to be told what encoding
> to use. To be a general solution the writer has to be able to emit all
> the common encodings (UTF-8, UTF-16, US-ASCII, ISO 8859-1 at the very
> least). This is really an non trivial job and this code would need to
> be developed tested and maintained and yet give no benefit to XML-RPC
> users.

I don't see your problem. All you have to do is split what changes and
what stay constant: generating string containing a XML messge is
constant so framework does that;
encoding may change, and besides it's rather low level issue, so
transport layer should encode the message.

As for now XmlWriter supports utf-8 and iso-8859-1. If writers were
provided by plugins, you would just move existing wiriter to the
default-http transport plugin and don't care about rest.