ws-wss4j-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Cronce <acro...@earthlink.net>
Subject Help with CertPathValidatorException error?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:07:37 GMT
Hi all,

I'm using wss4j 1.1.0 and Axis 1.3 for a service configured to use
digital signatures with certificates issued from the same root. Because
I have my own keystore in memory, I've derived new objects supporting my
keystore from Merlin, WSDoAllReceiver and WSDoAllSender. The keystore is
Bouncy Castle Uber. Both the client and server side keystores have the
root certificate installed as a trusted certificate entry.

On the server side I get the following error when verifying the signer's
certificate:

java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: signature check failed;
internal cause is:
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: missing provider

I've verified in the debugger that the certificate chain provided to
Merlin.validateCertPath is valid. Does this error mean that
validateCertPath is instancing a CertPathValidator that doesn't know
about the BC provider?

I suppose that I can work around this error by overriding verifyTrust
and implementing my own certificate validation. But I was hoping to keep
my overrides to a minimum.

Any suggestions regarding how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Best regards,
--
Allen Cronce