ws-woden-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeremy Hughes" <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Woden API Review wiki page
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:13:18 GMT
One issue is the equals() method. As things stand there is an
equals(WSDLComponent) method on WSDLComponent interface and
implemented trivially on WSDLComponentImpl. Unfortunately if you
compare two DescriptionElement objects the equals(Object) method is
called which returns false. There is a fundamental problem with having
a single implementation class implementing the WSDLComponent and
WSDLElement interfaces.

If I want to compare two DescriptionElement instances with each other
then equals(Object) needs to be implemented (by DescriptionImpl) and
that implementation needs to do the comparison at the XML infoset
level.

If I want to compare two Description instances (ie at the component
model level) then equals(Object) needs to be implemented (by
DescriptionImpl) and that implementation needs to do the comparison at
the Component model level.

There's a conflict here ... the equals() method doesn't know which one to do!

So ... firstly, is object comparison something we wish to allow our
users to do. I think it would be useful and equals() is a fundamental
part of a well formed API.

Not quite sure what the solution is right now though.

Cheers,
Jeremy