ws-woden-dev mailing list archives

From John Kaputin <KAPU...@uk.ibm.com>
Subject Xerces compatibility
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:53:30 GMT
Woden M1 specifies a dependency on Xerces 2.7.1 for the XML Schema API
support. I have come across a compatibility issue between Xerces 2.7.1 and
the JRE used to run Woden which I missed prior to releasing M1.

It seems the JRE support for XML is:
Sun 1.4.2 - Crimson
Sun 1.5.0 - Xerces 2.7.1
IBM 1.4.2 - Xerces 2.6
IBM 1.5.0 - Xerces 2.7.1

DOMWSDLReader imports org.w3c.dom.bootstrap.DOMImplementationRegistry and
uses it in parseSchema for the the DOM 3 bootstrap to use the XML Schema
API.

This causes a ClassCastException when running with IBM 1.4.2 JRE, I think
because its Xerces implementation expects a different package name  -
org.apache.xerces.dom3.bootstrap.DOMImplementationRegistry.  I can resolve
the exception by changing the import statement to use this package name.

Running Woden M1 with the Sun JRE's (1.4.2 and 1.5.0) seems to be OK, but I
need to do some more testing across the JRE's before M2.

Dims did raise the issue of Xerces version dependency when we first started
using it and I only reverted to it temporarily due to problems with
ws-commons XmlSchema as M1 was approaching.  The permanent plan is to use
ws-commons XmlSchema.

John Kaputin