ws-soap-user mailing list archives

From Colin Saxton <...@exel.co.uk>
Subject RE: porting from socket to SOAP
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:49:08 GMT
With comments like this

"This means that any data sent from the server must first come from a client
request." (SEE BELOW)

you would think that it was Monday morning!! (doh...) my apologies but you
get what I mean...(I hope!!)

-----Original Message-----
From: Colin Saxton [mailto:ccs@exel.co.uk]
Sent: 28 February 2002 09:39
To: 'soap-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: porting from socket to SOAP

Most implementations of SOAP use HTTP which means the connection is closed
after each client request (or possibly closed). This means that any data
sent from the server must first come from a client request.

It also depends on the nodes that are communicating. To implement effecient
communication along the lines of what you want would mean having 2 J2EE
communicating using message driven beans, a bit like B2B.

1. [A] sends a SOAP request to [B] which is then forwarded to a Message
Driven Bean.
2. The bean then periodically sends SOAP updates to [A], you can catch this
using any method you like on node [A]. The hard part is once you have
received the message on server [A] then you would need to forward this
message to the client application

    a. One way of doing that would be to have the client application become
a SocketServer. you could then connect to this from within the J2EE server
on node [A] using an EJB as a socketClient (which is permitted in the
specifications) and forward the data down the socket...

       You may ask what you gain from the above setup since you are aready
using SOAP?? The biggest advantage would be that you can communicate across
the internet with the above example through any fire wall. Another example
is that you never have to have a continuous connection. You could make your
client application server socket a pooled resource making the code more
scalable...

Although it does seem overkill and probably harder to setup at first there
would be advantages. The reason you have not found anyone doing this yet is
because it is only really just being developed to its potential by
individual companies...you would be a first!