ws-soap-user mailing list archives

From "Peter Govind" <pm...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Advantage of SOAP against RMI ???
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:35:15 GMT
Agree.

If you look at the web services articles around at the mo' they seem to
paint a picture whereby a client app can access a multitude of web services.

Sure that's nice. Then again, in reality the call/invocation is a bit on the
expensive side (ie take time) - even on one web service only. Things will
definitely get worse once a particular client's 'request' (I use the term
loosely here) requires invocation of methods from several different web
services spread throughout the inter/intranet. Imagine the time the user has
to wait before getting a response!

Let's not forget that XML processing does require some CPU cycle (ie waiting
time) - this couple with Java (after 6 years and with availability of higher
CPU power, still a bit on the slow side) does put a hefty baggage on the
concept of one client using several web services.

Don't get me wrong, I think SOAP is a great idea. Just make sure you get as
many stuff done for one single invocation .... and have a very patient
target audience.