ws-soap-user mailing list archives

From "Kochheiser, Todd W - TOS" <twkochhei...@bpa.gov>
Subject RE: Defining a SOAP Application Schema
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:22:02 GMT
Thank you very much for filling in what was a very large missing piece for
me and apparently the SOAP standard in general.  It's all very clear now ;-)
Are you aware of the current status of a standard for describing interfaces
and if it will be included in the next version of SOAP?  Without it (and
Vendors to support and use it), the wholly grail of SOAP being agnostic to
OS, language, and vendor seems rather far off.

Regards,
Todd Kochheiser

-----Original Message-----
From: James Snell [mailto:jmsnell@intesolv.com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 4:43 PM
To: 'soap-user@xml.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Defining a SOAP Application Schema

Todd,

There are currently four separate proposals for "SOAP Interface description"
grammars that use XML Schema to describe the base XML architecture as well
as additional grammar to describe interface and entrypoint semantics.  There
is some progress being made to merge these into one, possibly two, different
proposals.  In the meantime, the two primary choices (currently available in
production environment) are Microsoft's SDL (supported only by the SOAP
Toolkit) and IBM's NASSL (supported only by IBM's NASSL Toolkit for the
SOAP4J Codebase).  In short: there aren't any really STANDARDS for how to
descibe SOAP interfaces via XML-Schema.  The options you can pick from are:

  1. IBM NASSL
  2. MS SDL
  3. MS SCL (SDL's successor that is still being defined)
  4. SIDL (www.soap-wrc.com/sidl.txt)
  5. Raw XML-Schemas

- James