ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Nichol <snicholn...@scottnichol.com>
Subject Re: Help soap call hangs
Date Mon, 05 May 2003 18:17:34 GMT
Leif,

I cannot say I've experienced this, but something to notice is that
the 2.2 code did not have any timeout for establishing the
connection, just for the request/response.  I would think that what
you are seeing (no timeout) is possible if the SSL connection is
established at the TCP level, but the SSL handshaking does not
proceed to conclusion for some reason.  I am not sure how to verify
this without either sniffing the line (even then, I'm not sure how
you would read some of the  encrypted SSL handshaking) or turning on
SSL debugging.

On 5 May 2003 at 12:08, Leif Nilsson TACMa wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Has anyone experianced that a SOAP call just hangs for ever and ever ?
>
> We use soap 2.2 for client and server implementatione.
> The client use https with client and server certificate to call IIS that
> connects to soap 2.2 via Resin (servlet container).
> The soap service calls an Oracle DB via jdbc.
>
> We have an installed base of clients continuesly calling our server
> implementation.
>
> The problem seems to be that calling this service sometimes just hangs.
> We set the timeout to one hour via SOAPHTTPConnection.setTimeout.
> We use log4j for tracing and the code looks something like:
>
>     protected Element request(String methodName, String methodEncoding,
> Vector params) {
>         Response resp = null;
>         try {
>             URL  url  = new URL(m_cfg.getItalkHost());
>             Call call = buildCall(methodName, methodEncoding, params); //
> builds a call object and sets the timeout to one hour via
> SOAPHTTPConnection.setTimeout
>
>             // Invoke the call.
>             if (cat.isInfoEnabled()) cat.info("Call " +
> m_cfg.getItalkService() + "." + methodName + "@" + m_cfg.getItalkHost());
>             resp = call.invoke(url, "");
>         }
>         catch (MalformedURLException e) {
>             cat.error("Caught MalformedURLException : " + e.getMessage());
>             return null;
>         }
>         catch (SOAPException e) {
>             //e.printStackTrace();
>             cat.error("Caught SOAPException (" + e.getFaultCode() + "): " +
> e.getMessage());
>             return null;
>         }
>         catch (Exception e) {
>             cat.error("Caught some Exception when SOAPing with I-talk: " +
> e.getMessage());
>             return null;
>         }
>
>         return handleResponse(resp);
>     }
>
>     private Element handleResponse(Response resp) {
>         if (cat.isDebugEnabled()) cat.debug("handle response!");
>
>     ......  }
>

> As you can see traces will be made just before and just after calling the
> request method.
> (The handle reponse returns an element but most important it works for both
> attachments and no attachments)
>
> When I say that the call hangs we get the trace before calling but no trace
> for the response.
>
> Any clues ????
>

> Leif Nilsson
> Software Engineer
>
> TAC AB
> Jägershillgatan 18
> SE-213 75 Malmö, Sweden
> Direct	+46 40 38 69 56
> Fax	+46 40 21 82 87
> Mobile	+46 70 299 89 56
> www.tac-global.com
>
> This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom
> [...]

Scott Nichol

Do not reply directly to this e-mail address,
as it is filtered to only receive e-mail from
specific mailing lists.