ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException when serializing null String objects
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:40:32 GMT
Brian Gilman wrote:

>    I'm sorry to be such a dim light here but can you tell us why this
> is considered an "edge case"?? I'd think that most people who are writing
> code to marshall/unmarshall objects on the wire would encounter this
> problem. What am I missing?? Is there, in your estimation of our code
that
> we sent, some better way of doing things??

Edge case, boundary condition, ... I'm not sure what the appropriate term
for this is.  In any case, this was certainly a valid condition that was
not appropriately handled.

As your code didn't call Utils.cleanString, I suspect that it would have
problems with ampersands, less than symbols, and other characters which
might be prone to be interpreted as XML.

- Sam Ruby