ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException when serializing null String objects
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 16:56:13 GMT
David Turner wrote:

> I ran into a problem with SOAP's current String serialization when it
> encounters null String objects.   I couldn't find anything in either the
> user or dev archives regarding this so I don't know if this is a bug or
> not.
>
> I ended up writing my own String serializer which handled the null
> situation.  I only used my String serializer on the client side when
> sending data to the service -- the soap service just uses the default
> soap String serializer/deseralizer.   I have attached the source code
> for my String serializer in case it can be incorporated into SOAP.
>
> What I would like to know is if this is currently an issue or not?   Is
> SOAP currently able to handle null String objects during serializing?

I'd classify this as a known bug.  It is present in a number of SOAP
implementations - something you can graphically see by looking at the third
row of http://www.mds.rmit.edu.au/~ajk/soap/interop-results.htm#r2a

The particular implementation you sent is missing a key element of the
current Apache SOAP 2.2 implementation - namely a call to
Utils.cleanString.

In any case, the problem you have reported and a number of other important
"edge cases" have been addressed in Apache Axis.

- Sam Ruby