ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Henk Schipper" <henk.schip...@software684.com>
Subject RE: PROPOSAL: New name for combined SOAP implementation project
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:47:53 GMT
How abaout SAW. (Soap,Axis,Wasp)
Might very too simple, don't know, but I think could be effective.

Henk.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@watson.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, 29 November, 2001 2:10 AM
To: Apache SOAP; Axis Development List
Subject: PROPOSAL: New name for combined SOAP implementation project

In recent weeks there was a discussion on general@xml.apache.org
about combining the SOAP implementation efforts in Apache into
one project. Longer term, other Web services efforts may also be
added to this same combined project. The main motivation for
combining these efforts is to make the community stronger by
combining the now separated communities.

We have 3 separate SOAP implementations at hand (listed in historical
order):
    - Apache SOAP
    - Apache Axis
    - WASP - a contribution from Systinet that's yet to be committed

The proposal is to combine the three to form one SOAP implementation
project at Apache. Apache SOAP is now the historical implementation
and Axis is intended to be a replacement for it. WASP should be used
in evolving Axis to basically take the best of both and make the next
major rewrite of Apache's SOAP implementation.

So, in order to get moving on this we have to agree on a name for the
combined SOAP implementation project. What I suggest is that we come
up with a few suggestions and then have a vote.

To start the process I propose the name "ceylon" .. it comes from
a random chat that Dims and I had during some of the preparation
for this note! Let's spend a few days coming up with candidate
names and then narrow down a list and call a vote.

Bye,

Sanjiva.