ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Soumen Sarkar <Soum...@Atoga.com>
Subject RE: NullPointerException when serializing null String objects
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 18:13:34 GMT
I also fail to understand why such a basic thing like null string
should be considered as edge case.

Recently I evaluated two market leading App Servers providing web services
features. All of them failed for null java.lang.String.

I feel SOAP serialization/deserialization implementations are still immature
and there needs to be a lot of improvements in this area to foster
interoperability.
I had tested application servers just for echo of integer (it can not get
any
simpler) and still they failed to interoperate based on WSDL contract.

Regards,
Soumen Sarkar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Gilman [mailto:gilmanb@harpo.wi.mit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 9:37 AM
To: soap-dev@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: NullPointerException when serializing null String objects

Hello all,

	I'm sorry to be such a dim light here but can you tell us why this
is considered an "edge case"?? I'd think that most people who are writing
code to marshall/unmarshall objects on the wire would encounter this
problem. What am I missing?? Is there, in your estimation of our code that
we sent, some better way of doing things??

			Thanks in advance!

				-B

Brian Gilman <gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu>
Sr. Software Engineer MIT/Whitehead Inst. Center for Genome Research
One Kendall Square, Bldg. 300 / Cambridge, MA 02139-1561 USA
phone +1 617  252 1069 / fax +1 617 252 1902