ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Noel Gadreau <>
Subject Re: JDOM vs DOM (was: Re: IRC chat log)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:40:57 GMT
I agree with you that using a standard API (like DOM or SAX) is a good
things, for lots of reasons (developers know it, tools exist, parsers
exist, ...).

I feel that even if we can use SAX for some simple Handler, we will need
for other to use a DOM-like API. I am in favor of DOM because if you
need it in one handler, why not get it for the others as you are
spending the time/resources parsing it.

In the mean time, I don't think DOM is the perfect API for SOAP. Several
things are missing to make it really usable. The lack of namespace stack
is a pain because you don't know easily which namespaces are defined at
the level you are at and you will need to redefine them (sure, you can
go up and look for the namespace definition, but I don't think it is
very efficient). I think something like the "SOAPConstruct" of IdooXoap
is a step in the right direction as it addresses these issues, but still
lets you manipulate DOM Elements if you need.

This aspect is I think very important as one of the components that
developers using Apache-SOAP are going to write are
serializer/deserializers. Therefore, we need to take particular care so
that this part of the "API" suits their needs.

I think that to go forward, we could try to list out what we expect from
this API and list how it is going to be used. This could help us in
determining what is best suited for the job.

What do you think ?

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> Sorry I missed this chat too; had to take my son to the doc (he hit his
> leg and it may have been fractured .. it wasn't).
> I read the logs and I see discussion of using JDOM instead of DOM as
> the tree API. I would like to register my early and strong opposition
> to it .. DOM is a standard API as is SAX and I would like to use those
> two. This allows the use of pretty much arbitrary XML tools (like
> alternate parsers for example as has been brought up) and I'm opposed
> to precluding those in favor of a non-standard (albeit more programmer
> friendly) API. This is the life of standards playing .. whether you
> like it or not you gotta do it. Picking and choosing (or embracing and
> extending) would put us in the camp of the evil empire.
> I have some recollection of hearing of a religious war on the JDOM/DOM
> topic on the xerces list .. if there are any veterans of that war here
> maybe they could give us the summary (of their side :-))?
> Sanjiva.

View raw message