ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Mitchell <kevin.mitch...@xmls.com>
Subject RE: V3.0 CVS repository
Date Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:41:18 GMT

+1 on a new module vice part of the existing module, mostly due to the
extent of the
changes.

> > This raises another issue with the 3.0 code- with the W3C XML
> > Protocol activity up and running, we need to gear up to
> > supporting that. [I'm of the pre-conceived idea that this group
> > would track that work and provide compatible implementations ..
> > is that what others believe too?]
>
> +1
>
> BTW - Should the project be renamed?

+1 as well. Glen and I are both part of the XML Protocol group, so tracking
that work should not be a problem. What this means of course, is that the
scope of the project has expanded beyond SOAP per se, and into other
XML-based protocols. i think this probably has some interesting implications
for the 3.0 design, the major one being that the XML message processing
engine would need to process multiple classes of messages (SOAP 1.1, XML
Protocol, etc...)

However, I do not think 3.0 will support both SOAP/1.1 and XML Protocol, b/c
of timing. The XML Protocol WG charter
(http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XML-Protocol-Charter) shows a Candidate
Recommendation by April 2001. I think we will likely want (and achieve) a
3.0 release before that time.

I think if we agree now that this project will do an XML Protocol
implementation later, we should a) change the project name to something more
general, b) avoid use of protocol-specific terminology in the code and
documentation and c) design 3.0 as a general-purpose XML message processor.