ws-soap-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@watson.ibm.com>
Subject Re: JDOM vs DOM (was: Re: IRC chat log)
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:16:49 GMT
> I think the concern with DOM (one which you put forth as well, if I recall
> correctly) is that it's rather a memory-hog, and is a bit too heavyweight
> for a lot of the use-cases.

Yes, I put it forth too as a concern as the *output of serializers.*

The problem with DOM is (mostly) the implementation. The APIs are designed
to support "live" edits and monitoring, so the API force certain impl
requirements too. The real problem is the performance (memory usage)
of a full DOM impl *when one is not needed*. I would argue that Apache SOAP
is a case where a full live impl is not needed: once the envelope is parsed
its not going to change while a filter is operating.

The solution IMO is to use SAX as appropriate and an efficient impl of
the DOM that is customized for our needs. What I am opposed to is exposing
a non-standard API, even if it means a performance hit. Let's be realistic,
JDOM vs a good DOM will not mean a 50% performance difference not
reasonable sized messages. For large messages, the *only* real option is
to use SAX. Anything else is nuts.

Sanjiva.