ws-scout-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Steps towards 1.1 release, including use of apache nexus
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:24:56 GMT

On Jul 27, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Tom Cunningham wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> I've been working via jira and private emails with Kurt to get
>> scout ready for 1.1 release.
>>
>> Here are a few more things that need to happen before the release:
>>
>> 1. (most important) The pom has been changed to use the apache 6
>> pom as parent.  This deploys to the apache nexus instance.  In
>> order for this to work the project NEEDS to get permissions set up
>> there.
>> First, add a task to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
>> INFRA-1896 asking for scout access. The project needs some record
>> on the dev list indicating that it wants to use nexus.  A couple
>> +1s to this part of this email should suffice.  Brian is pretty
>> quick about this but I'd allow at least a day.
> +1
>
> Can the project get some handholding on this part?

sure.  For starters.... after nexus is set up with the right
permissions...

mvn release:prepare -Papache-release
# this checks a lot of stuff and creates the svn tag and may update
the original tag to the next dev version (e.g. 1.2-SNAPSHOT)
mvn release:perform -Papache-release

this svn exports the new tag, builds it, and deploys it into the nexus
repo.

Now you log into apache's nexus and close the staging repo created by
the deploy.  This prevents more stuff being added. (up till now, you
can keep running the release plugin on different projects and
accumulate lots of stuff in one staging repo, for instance you might
want to vote on several projects as one vote)

Now you call the vote on the dev list and wait as the +1s pour in.

After 72 hours and the vote passes you go back into nexus and promote
the release.  It then gets into the releases area of nexus and gets
synched to maven central pretty quickly.

I'm less familiar with site generation.  I tend to stage sites into my
people.apache.org area using some stuff in my ~/.m2/settings.xml and
mvn site:deploy.

>    Are there any docs on how to use the Apache instance (what's the
> URL, etc)?

https://repository.apache.org/
http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/

The maven component guide to releasing bits of maven is also useful:

http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html

thanks
david jencks