ws-sandesha-dev mailing list archives

From "Amila Suriarachchi" <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Mercury Proposal
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:04:24 GMT
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM, David Illsley <davidillsley@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Paul Fremantle <pzfreo@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Glen. I didn't think there was any consensus from the previous
> > discussion (does the word dissensus exist?) :)
> >
> > I am actually pretty happy to do either, I think each approach has +s and
> -s.
> >
> > On the side of starting from the Mercury codebase, Amila has got it to
> > a point where it satisfies the 1.0 spec, including Replay.
> > On the other hand, Mercury doesn't yet implement 1.1 or
> > MakeConnection, and also it doesn't support transactions yet, so there
> > are some fairly large aspects still to be coded. And starting afresh
> > might well get more involvement from the wider community which I think
> > has been the main pushback on this proposal so far.
>
> Clearly new code developed here will have far fewer legal issues (e.g.
> the submitted Mercury has a hard LGPL dependency which would need
> ironed out),

definitely we have to remove the persistence module and re write it using
direct JDBC. May be the first step to do if it going to apache. If we think
that Mercury without that part, Then this problem is already solved.

and would hopefully have a cleaner state machine model -
> the Mercury one seems to have compromised for reasons which are pretty
> opaque.
>
> > I guess one open question is - who is willing to put in the effort to
> > work on this?! If it's just Amila, then starting afresh won't be much
> > benefit, because he will be happier to keep working from the code he
> > has already built.
>
> I'd certainly be interested in being involved in a new codebase, but
> the amount of time I'd have to devote to it would be limited. If it's
> just Amila, then my "Apache Way Sense" tingles to suggest that this
> isn't really going anywhere in Apache, and probably shouldn't.

AFAIK  Sandesha2 has also started as an Axis2 module by Chamikara.  Then
people has joined and contributed to it at various times. Same thing may
happen with the Mercury with the time. As Chamikara did with Sandesha2 I can
initiate it with a new design. But this does not mean it will be a one man
show for ever.

thanks,
Amila.